Baal Bone Colliery a history
Underground mining commenced at Baal Bone Colliery in January 1983 when a crew of miners was transferred from Wallerawang Colliery to begin development of underground headings. Wallerawang Colliery had been mining high quality steaming coal from 1920 and ceased operations in 1986. Baal Bone was located on the eastern side of the Ben Bullen Open Cut Colliery that had operated from 1946 until 1954. Between 1983 and 2011 Baal Bone produced over sixty one million tons of coal from mechanised bord and pillar operations, longwall mining and open cut mining. This book outlines the stories of Ben Bullen, Wallerawang and Baal Bone Collieries. It also chronicles the exploration and development of coalmining in the Lithgow region from the Nineteenth Century.